Monday, August 17, 2015

The Party's Just Begun & I don't have rabies

THIS IS THE LETTER FROM LAST WEEK. I GUESS IT DIDN'T SEND TO EVERYONE... OOPS=)
(Aug. 10, 2015)

hmmm where to start.
First off: Greeting everyone! Thanks you all for the lovely emails and
such! You all are so peachy and kind. And thanks for all the prayers
you guys send to the missionaries. I'm seeing more and more how much
we need them!
Now for the thrills of the week.There were many. You hear all these
stories about crazy things happening on mission, and I feel like
probablamente 90% happened this week, but that is just life. let's
hope they keep coming though or my mission will get pretty mundane for
the next 22ish months. So let's get going. In no particular order...

So I got bit by a dog Saturday! My compaƱero is the District leader,
so we had to go and do a baptismal interview in Derqui in the morning.
All was grand. The interview was wrapped up and we were headed for the
bus stop (we ride many a bus down here in Pilar) when we past this
house. It was gated and there was a feisty pooch on the other side.
This thing stuck it's head though the gate and BIT MY ARM. Crazy. Like
I was not even expecting it. BUT I was very chill about it and just
kept walking, because that's something we do a lot down here. it's not
a very big bite (actually it's kinda lame and didn't even bleed much)
but when you get bit you have to call the Mission President's wife, so
while we were on the bus I got to call Hermana Ayres, and we had a
lovely conversation (IN ENGLISH). She has some sass to her so
naturally our conversation was quite enjoyable. The concern was if I
was going to get rabies or not, so next week when we go down to Derqui
for another interview we have to check and see if the dog is still
alive and if it is, I'm fine. If it's dead, I have to go through some
cheerful sets of rabies shots. Yumm.
I don't think I added this last week, but there are dogs EVERYWHERE.
Did I say EVERYWHERE? Because they are EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE. (And
some cats, but we're not supposed to play with the animals:( ) But
these dogs are mangy things. And most of them are even living! I've
seen about 7 dead ones so far... I think. Sometimes it's hard to tell
if the dog is dead or just sleeping, and then sometimes you see the
same dead dog more than once and you get confused.
We have been having some crazy rainstorm here. We work a lot in this
place called Villa Rosa and lots of the roads there are dirt (and
trash), and some of them have had some flooding when the rain comes,
so we have to be careful where we step. I've only fallen twice so far
but my ninja skills have come in handy here and so I've caught myself
before the damage has gotten too bad. Like I said, thrilling!
Also (we think) because of this rain, the sewage lines have been
filled and our toilet was having issues. I'll leave it at that.
You guys probably wanna know about some of mine and Elder Carrasco's
investigators, don't you? well, right now we have two progressing
investigators, but today I'll tell you about Jonathon. Jonathon is 19
and pretty cool. We found him Wednesday (I think...) and he has been
progressing really well. I tried inviting him to be baptized, but he
didn't understand my Castellano, and I had to do it again. and again.
And then Elder Carrasco asked him and HE SAID YES! He went with us to
church on Sunday, and we meet with him again today.
Side note. Elections are going on here, and because of them we only
had Sacrament meeting. And I led the music! Fun fun fun.
More happened, (LOTS), but here are just some highlights of the week.
I love you guys! See you all soon enough:)

Elder Hardcastle


And now for this weeks letter....(Aug. 17, 2015)

I thought I's start off my letter with some good news, because I know you all were very concerned with the welfare of my health. We saw the dog. It was alive. You may now rejoice.
Hmph, It has been a busy week. District Conference, Zone Conference, New Missionary Conference, and another baptismal interview trip make Elder Hardcastle a busy missionary. And one that doesn't have much language study time! haha but seriously, all these events were scheduled during my study time. But we learn patience on the mission, so patience here I come!
Just some fun new problems with our apartment from this week:  A few days ago all the electric outlets in our home stopped working this week, which is all fun and games until you realize the fridge has become the wicked witch of the west and is melting away (NO ONE MOURNS THE WICKED). Luckily we don't have much in our fridge and freezer, but we had to put some foods to good use real quick or throw them out. On Saturday we ended up returning to the apartment an hour early because Elder Carrasco was really really sick and so I took that opportunity to be a charitable (and hungry) companion and make dinner. I put together a mean spaghetti with some noodles I had and used some hamburger patties we received in a vianda (sack lunch we receive from members on days we can't eat at their house) and some frozen peas I had because they both needed to be eaten before our freezer completely died, and some canned tomatoes we had in our emergency food supply (it was a culinary emergency and I had a sick companion. I feel so shame) and really, it was some mighty fine cooking and deserved a selfie (see below). We officially had out outlets fixed today, so now we are back in business.
We started teaching a couple this week that is sooo great. They have a convert daughter who just recently got baptized, so we have been going and giving her the recent convert lessons (It's the same as any other lesson but she's now a member so has some more experience), and one day her parents were there and Elder Carrasco asked if they wanted to learn and all that good stuff and they took some Books of Mormon and they believe it! The father hasn't received an answer yet but the mother has, but they are both taking in the gospel and it's such and neat experience when we teach them; it's my favorite lesson those days. They went to sacrament meeting yesterday and really liked it, so I have high hopes for them! During our first lesson I shared Alma 32:27-28 and the mother really liked it I think. It must be hard to leave your current method of belief and have the faith to drop it for something new. But with time and nourishment, that new seed of faith will grow and grow and grow until it is strong testimony.
Yesterday I got a smidgeon trunky. Wanna know over what? Taking out the trash. We were in our apartment yesterday and I have been thinking that we really needed to take the trash out, and then I started think about taking the trash out at home, and I had this moment of thinking of really nice Sunday afternoons at home... yep, all over trash. Crazy right? Right. 
Also, in Argentina they have this gelatin stuff called Dulce de (insert name of fruit or whatever), and yesterday at a member's house we had Dulce de Batata with mozarella cheese, which was actually a really great combo, a slice of cheese and a slice of fruity stuff. Here's the problem: I don't know what a batata is. I here it is like a potato, but if someone out there could send me a pick of one I'd really like it. Thanks a ton=)
Well, that's all for now folks! Talk to you again again next week. And have fun at school all y'all that will be starting that up again in the next week or so.
See you all soon enough!

Elder Hardcastle



The dog days have just begun




 Me feat. Spaghetti.






No comments:

Post a Comment